I have never really been interested in making a totally scrappy quilt---you know the kind---just go by light, medium and dark. BUT at our guild the other night they had the cutest block for us to make this month. So I took the plunge.
It took me about an hour to make the first one as I kept getting the placements confused. BUT I figured out a labeling system and now it is much easier.
I usually give my scraps away---except red white and blue. But I had a container of them waiting for our guild yard sale. I took them out and cut the correct sizes for a bunch of blocks. I then made the hourglass units. I cut them oversized and then trimmed to the correct size.
The block turned out a little larger but that allowed me to trim it to a perfect 11 1/2. All the seams distorted it a little--or maybe my pressing. I cut enough for quite a few and will make as many as I can with those pieces.
I may redesign this block to be able to use 2 1/2 strips and 2 inch. I think it would make a wonder Quilt Of Valor. I have LOTS of those strips in a nice big box.