Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Arizona and Maryland for a Veteran Lady

My friend Janet sent me this beautiful top and back. This will be donated to our local Veterans Hospital for the new Women's Section.

I had the easy part to do in the quilting. I did a simple leaf and vine overall. I used Hobbs Polydown as it is a little puffier than cotton.

I just love how she did the border. It is hard to get a picture of the whole thing as it is big.

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Fort Bragg Bound

I had started a log cabin quilt and it was going to be big. I got tired of it and decided to see what I could do with the blocks already made. I hate UFO's in a drawer. I put them together and thought there was too much white and it was boring for a child.

I have the wonderful Accuquilt cutting system and 2 cute dies for a dog and a cat. I used a fusible that allows you to sew through it. So I added the cat and dog which makes it a fun quilt.

Next I had a beautiful panel that an online friend had sent me. Sad to say, I have forgotten just who it was. But it is so easy to add borders and have a really lovely quilt. I am always amazed how lovely these panels quilts are.

These quilts are sent to an online friend who is a member of Project Linus that supports Fort Bragg families

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

More Layer Cake Fun--the right way

I had cut LOTS of squares from all my bright fabric. Her is a quilt following the pattern the right way. This is fun to make and easy easy easy.

I have one more large quilt to get quilted. Then I think it is time for some smaller ones for a bit. I have a few log cabin blocks that I will play with for a child's quilt.

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Layer Cake Fun

I watched a video from the Missouri Star Quilt Company to make a quilt out of the Moda Pre cuts called Layer Cakes. I have plenty of stash to cut up and make my own assortment.

I have been buying lots of bright fabric online at several online shops. Some were assortments and other just odd pieces. I gathered up 20 of these as the patterns calls for 40 pieces. I figured they would be used twice. I was happy to see they all looked happy and fun together.

I proceeded to cut through all 40 to then realize that I had cut them wrong. Not a huge problem as I can still make a fine quilt out of them. I have another stack and will do the next quilt following the directions carefully.

I really like this quilt and find it extremely cheerful. My taste in fabric has really changed since I first started quilting about 5 or 6 years ago. I may not choose these type of colors for a quilt in my home but think they are just perfect for charity quilts. They just look plain happy.

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Veterans Quilt

Our local Veterans Home is opening a new ward for women. They would like 18 twin sized quilts for each bed. I found a pack of charms and some fabric that would work well with them. I sewed a center and then just kept adding borders. This is a great way to move out some stash and force me to do a little designing instead of depending on a pattern all the time.

The center section should look lovely on top of the bed and the borders for the sides and bottoms. I used the Hobbs Polydown batting. It gives some dimension to the quilting and makes it a little puffier.

I would really like to see my stash turn over about every 3 years to keep it fresh and new. This moved some out for sure.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Quilt Camp Project

I took a class from Carol Blevins at MAQ Quilt Camp. It was called Perfecting Patchwork or something like that. It is about precision and excellence--something I sadly lack.

This is one of the blocks in the class. It is done with freezer paper and careful attention to grain line of the fabric. I am really amazed that I did Y seams so easily.