I found a bunch of blue charms (5 inch squares) that were exactly the same. I do not even remember cutting them. I had seen pictures of a pattern called Split 4 patch and decided to make one of those using white scraps. This project will go to the guild member whose son is taking them to children in the war zone.
I had enough for 2 small quilts and decided to try quilting them on one continuous piece of backing. This involved piecing a back using 3 different fabrics. It is all about using up stash.
I floated the tops (meaning not pinning them to the leaders on the HQ). I used blue thread so the pretty stitching would show for the children to see the stars.
This worked really well and something I will try again when making small items. I have fallen in love with quilting podcasts and am listen to one called Within A Quarter Inch. I am wayyyyyyyyyyy behind but started from the first. I scarely notice the time passing when I am quilting and listen to this witty and smart young lady.
I saw a picture of a similar quilt on some online photo gallery. I immediately wanted to make this quilt. I already had a ruler from another project. I also figured out I could make these blocks using 5 inch squares. I had cut up a large number of these from left over fabric.
I loved making the individual sections and the blocks. BUT when I went to line up the block and rows--not so much. I had trimmed the blocks to 8 inches but some of the subsections did not quite line up. But I figured in such a busy quilt it would just not be noticed enough to worry about it.
Then I had the dilemma of how to quilt this. I did not want to lose the piecing so I did a wiggle stitch (meaning I cannot do a straight line so devised this instead) around lots of the sections and blocks. I backtracked all the time to avoid stop and starting which I hate.
I am not sure where this will end up. I really love my quilts going local so it may end up at our Veterans home for Hospice. Or sometimes just the right place turns up at the right time.
I doubt I will make another one but you never know. I used up all the 5 inch charms and even had to cut some more.
I decided to purchase the Alex Anderson book about making a neutral quilt. This is not my usual color pallette but I have seen a couple that are really beautiful.
The one I chose to make is called Suzanne. It is really quite an easy pattern that produces some very interesting diagonal eye candy. I have enough of this fabric to make at least one more.
I tried to get a picture of the quilting design I did on the white border and in many places on the quilt. This is an flower and leaf pattern that I developed and can do easily now. It just takes practice.
These blocks are not made the way they look when the quilt is finished. It is much easier than it looks.
I have wanted a way to display quilts that does not take up a huge amount of space. My husband designed and built this ladder. He is now working on one that is very old fashioned looking and another great design.
The center quilt is for Quilts Of Valor. The 2 baby ones are just because I wanted to make a couple of baby quilts. The right recipient will always come along.
I figure I will display my seasonal quilts on it and will look for some sommery looking ones today.
I have had these eagle pillow type panels for quite some time. I had not good at figuring out the math needed to incorporate them into a quilt. But when I was making 6 inch stripy blocks I could see they would quite quite well.
I really love this and have several more so I can make these using up strips that are 2 1/2 inch in my scrap type box. I cut them that size when I am almost out of the fabric piece. I am not a big scrap saver and often give lots away but do have a couple of sizes I keep for specific projects.